MyEtherWallet, also known as MEW, is the most common wallet for sending, receiving and storing Ethereum and ERC20 tokens.
With MEW you can currently participate in almost all ICOs that accept Ethereum and issue ERC20 tokens.
- 1 – Install MEW offline
Nowadays it is safer if you create your MEW-Wallet offline, or at least on a freshly installed PC or Linux operating system. If you create your Private Key ONLINE, you may be at risk.
It is never recommended to create your wallet and the associated private key online. A virus or malware could read everything and empty your MEW Wallet later because you were ONLINE.
To run MEW offline, you must download the complete website. I already explained this in this post: Bitcoin Paper Wallet
- 2 – Choose password
After you open the downloaded page, you will be prompted for a password. Be sure to use a strong password!
- 4 – Save wallet file
- Now download your corresponding Keystore (UTC / JSON) file.
- To do this, click on “Download Keystore File (UTC / JSON)”.
- You will now find the file in your download folder.
- Save the file immediately to a USB stick and delete it from your computer.
- It is best to copy the file to two or three USB sticks. Better be safe than sorry.
How do I log in to my wallet?
To log in to your wallet, click on:
- Show Wallet Info.
- Click Keystore File (UTC / JSON).
- Select your wallet file.
- Enter the password.
- Unlock your wallet.
If you now switch from the tab “Show Wallet Infos” to “Send Ether and Tokens“, you have to select your Wallet file again and enter your password.